Alignvest Acquisition II Corporation (TSX:AQY) (“AQY”) is a Special Purpose Acquisition Corporation (“SPAC”) that raised over $400 million from leading institutional investors in its initial public offering. In addition to this, AQY raised $113 million by entering into Forward Purchase Agreements with certain institutional and accredited investors and certain directors of AQY. An affiliate of our Sponsor and our Founders are committing 50% of this permanent (non-redeemable) capital, which further aligns their interests with those of AQY’s shareholders. This enhanced structure, whereby approximately 22% of our total capital of approximately $515 million is permanent (not subject to redemption), improves upon the structure of a traditional SPAC by having certainty on a significant portion of available cash at the time of a qualifying acquisition. We believe that this structure will not only reduce the chances of not completing an acquisition, but that it will also serve to increase the calibre of potential targets given the heightened certainty of capital.
AQY intends to focus on acquiring companies with an estimated enterprise value between $500 million and $2.5 billion, which we believe has the potential to deliver an attractive risk-adjusted return to our shareholders. We intend to focus on businesses that have some or all of the following characteristics:
- are led by strong, experienced, and well-aligned founders and management teams, with a proven track record of equity value creation who want to continue to build their businesses;
- are known to Alignvest Management Corporation (“AMC”) through a proprietary (non-auctioned) relationship;
- operate in an industry in which we have expertise;
- have the potential to generate attractive risk-adjusted returns on invested capital;
- and/or provide the opportunity to execute synergistic follow-on acquisitions.
AQY’s management team, board of directors, and advisory board have extensive experience in identifying such businesses, executing on these transactions, and subsequently unlocking shareholder value. In addition, our and AMC’s team have significant experience working with private companies in preparing for, and executing, an initial public offering, and serving as active owners and directors by working closely with these companies to create value in the public markets. Notably, AMC, as the sponsor of Alignvest Acquisition Corporation (“AQX”), has experience executing a SPAC transaction, having successfully completed a qualifying acquisition with Trilogy International Partners LLC (“Trilogy”) in February 2017.
AQY’s management team, board of directors, and advisory board are comprised of a group of individuals that have founded businesses, have worked as senior investment professionals at leading private equity firms, lead or led publicly-traded companies on the TSX or the NYSE, and sit on the boards of directors of industry-leading companies.
Board of Directors
- Timothy Hodgson Chairman and Director, Managing Partner of Alignvest
- Reza Satchu President and Chief Executive Officer and Director, Co-founder and Managing Partner of Alignvest
- Vince Hemmer Chief Investment Officer and Director, Former Director of AQX and former Principal at GTCR, LLC.
- Azim Jamal Director. Co-founder, President and Chief Executive Officer of PR Seniors Housing Management Ltd. (formerly, Retirement Concepts Seniors Services Ltd.), and Pacific Reach Properties Ltd.
- Adam Jiwan Director, Former Partner at TPG-Axon Capital Management, with experience at Soros Fund Management and The Blackstone Group
- Anthony Lacavera Director, Chairman of Globalive Capital, and co-founder, former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of WIND Mobile Canada
- Nadir Mohamed Director, Chairman of Alignvest, and former President and Chief Executive Officer of Rogers Communications Inc.
- Andy Moysiuk Director, Partner of Alignvest, and former Managing Partner of HOOPP Capital Partners.
- Donald Walker Director, Chief Executive Officer of Magna International Inc.
- Lee Lau Co-founder and Partner of Alignvest, and co-founder of ATI Technologies Inc.
- Joe Natale President and Chief Executive Officer of Rogers Communications Inc.
- John Stanton Co-founder and Chairman of Trilogy International Partners Inc., founder and former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Western Wireless Corporation, and founder and Chairman of Voicestream Wireless Inc.
- Helmut Swarovski Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Daniel Swarovski KG and Director of Swarovski International Holdings AG
- Reza Satchu President, Chief Executive Officer and Director
- Vince Hemmer Chief Investment Officer and Director
- Sanjil Shah Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Secretary
- Andre Mousseau Chief Operating Officer
- Greg Duggan Senior Associate
- Michael Karp Associate
- Celia Chan Vice President, Finance